7/03/2010

Insult to Injury

Argentina's devastating loss to Germany this morning made for a horrific start to the 4th of July weekend. Since the very beginning of this year's World Cup I have been hating on the Germans, not least because their coach, Joachim Low, and his staff wear matching suits over collarless sky-blue V-neck t-shirts. This sort of cheeseball Miami Vice look, combined with what appeared to be a bad dye job, actually managed to make Diego Maradona's quarter-million-dollar diamond stud earrings and circa 1972 Serpico hairstyle look good by comparison.

Worst of all, there was no joy on Low's face, even in victory. He responded to German goals with a grimace and a kind of antagonistic, sneering, fist-pumping. I disliked him on sight, whereas Maradona broadcast his big heart and his love for his team and his country from every square centimeter of his boxy, shiny, silver suit. I don't generally like to judge a book by its cover, but I really didn't like the cut of Low's jib. And that was before I saw this:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should be insulted, but actually I 100% agree with your fashion critique.
About the snot eating - tribal behavior of old germanic tradition.
Soccer, - Who?

La Bavaresa