1/19/2011

A small taste of Angkor







Not to barrage you with globe-trotting braggery, but I've been to Tikal in Guatemala, Copan in Honduras, Chichen Izta in Mexico, Machu Picchu in Peru, Delphi in Greece, Chile's Easter Island, and the Empire State Building. The breathtaking expanse, the countless temples and the millions of square yards of intricately carved rock of the multiple complexes at Angkor Wat puts them all to shame. Compared with the demented stone-carvers of the Khmer empire, the Mayans seem like tropical layabouts with too much time on their hands. If Angkor Wat is Manhattan, Machu Picchu is Piscataway. The Ancient Greeks might've come up with something if only they had been able to develop a work ethic. The loons of Easter Island, who destroyed their own civilization by devoting all their manpower to building gigantic heads, are like a small village of basketmakers by comparison. And so on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did not yet see the pyramids I believe ...
Your superlatives might be more persuasive if
you had.
Sorry to be a killjoy

They say it's a cold world said...

I'm sure the pyramids have a certain "je ne sais pas," and I look forward to seeing them. However, I'm not easily impressed by ruins that aren't surrounded by tropical jungles. I think the astounding trees of Angkor aren't unrelated to how impressed I was. A post on the trees to come soon. And I didn't think you were being a killjoy at all; everyone is entitled to have their own favorite pile of old rocks.